Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthGrow Network
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 04:24:09
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (184)
Related
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- 10 Brands That Support LGBTQIA+ Efforts Now & Always: Savage X Fenty, Abercrombie, TomboyX & More
- 10 Brands That Support LGBTQIA+ Efforts Now & Always: Savage X Fenty, Abercrombie, TomboyX & More
- A Most ‘Sustainable’ Vineyard in a ‘Completely Unsustainable’ Year
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Even With a 50-50 Split, a Biden Administration Senate Could Make Big Strides on Climate
- Chrissy Teigen Believed She Had an Identical Twin After Insane DNA Test Mishap
- Flash Deal: Get $135 Worth of Tarte Cosmetics Products for Just $59
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Country singer Kelsea Ballerini hit in the face with bracelet while performing
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Biden says Supreme Court's affirmative action decision can't be the last word
- More Than 100 Cities Worldwide Now Powered Primarily by Renewable Energy
- 24-Hour Solar Energy: Molten Salt Makes It Possible, and Prices Are Falling Fast
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- New York’s Giant Pension Fund Doubles Climate-Smart Investment
- You'll Love Ariana Grande Harder for Trolling Her Own Makeup Look
- With Only a Week Left in Trump’s Presidency, a Last-Ditch Effort to Block Climate Action and Deny the Science
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Jennifer Hudson Celebrates Son David's Middle School Graduation
Idaho Murder Case: Ethan Chapin's Mom Shares How Family Is Coping After His Death
RHOC's Shannon Beador Reveals the Real Reason for Her and Tamra Judge's Falling Out
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
TikTok's Jaden Hossler Seeking Treatment for Mental Health After Excruciating Lows
Court Sides With Trump on Keystone XL Permit, but Don’t Expect Fast Progress
Trump Administration Offers Drilling Leases in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge, but No Major Oil Firms Bid